Q: Eczema?
A: coconut oil topically and in the diet. Dr. Sears recommends flax oil, but I don't like flax for rancidity. I go with the nourishing tradition and go with a saturated fat. It's what helps every cell in the body have structure, and in the case of skin care, fat is broken down inside the cells and water is a byproduct. To get water into cells, eat fat.
Waleda has many nice products and you can use their calendula cream, lotion, oil or diaper creme.
I've added Vitamin E to our supplement regimen. Tonight I'm going to order some wheat germ oil, I think, and try this out as a Vit E. supp.
Cod Liver Oil is my #1 supplement.
You might also want to look on hpakids.org Holistic Pediatric Assn.
A quick version of Nourishing Traditions (NT) is Eat Fat Lose Fat. This week I decided I would start doing the coconut oil/milk regularly. It's a remarkable food. There is another book called The Fourfold Path to Healing but I haven't read it--it builds on NT but covers specific ailments and general healing.
My son has gotten Eczema a little bit two times. Both times I scaled way back on dairy and it went away after a few weeks. I would only go with non-homogenized dairy products, and raw or cultured; no ultra-pasteurized.
COCONUT OIL
Make sure it's organic cold-pressed and should not have any other ingredients
CO is less expensive than butter, if you are comparing a basic quality butter such as most organic brands, including Meijer (I think)
Think in the range of 2 Tbsp. per day OIL or 1/2 cup MILK for an adult supplement plus using it in your cooking whenever possible. I sub it in baked goods for the same amount of butter or oil. The 1/2 cup milk has same fat as 2Tbsp oil and incidentally costs about the same, though you may want to do your own calculations, with the mention of prices fluctuating on both dairy and coconut.
I like Coconut milk better for doing it like a supplement. It mixes easier than the oil. I'm going to do about 1/3 cup MILK at least per day for me. I'm going to play around with it and see how it goes. I'm thinking about a little weight loss (10-15 pounds, but I go more on how I look/feel) as in Eat Fat Lose Fat, even though I'm still nursing (now at 20 months). Basically, adding the coconut oil and reducing my portions at meals. Do the coconut oil 20 minutes before eating a meal to help feel full. The coconut oil is turned into energy quickly instead of being stored as fat. You have to watch your sugar/carbs intake on this plan because that will just make you gain weight. They say the body utilizes more calories to burn the CO than what the CO actually contains, meanwhile it helps you feel satisfied so you should eat less. Win Win.
Coconut Milk: Whole Foods 365 brand or Native Forest or Natural Value. Guar Gum is okay and it also contains water.
I buy the Nutiva, usually from UNFI through co-op (watch for sales of about 15% off). Once you start using it regularly, you can go through a gallon fairly quickly (128 oz)--maybe 6 months depending on size of your family; probably 2-3 months if you're doing it supplementally. The half gallon is good to start if you're committed.
http://www.vitacost.com/Nutiva-Organic-Extra-Virgin-Coconut-Oil
Spectrum has a good organic one but you have to really read the labels because they have so many different kinds.
Jungle Products is a great one too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment