Thursday, March 19, 2009

Cod Liver Oil on vitacost.com

Cod Liver Oils (CLO)

Cod Liver Oil is my number one supplement, the one to take to a deserted island. It provides the Omega fats like a regular fish oil supplement but in addition provides Vitamins A and D. It helps fight infections, and I believe it also helps skin health as well as many, many body processes. For more check out westonaprice.org or a book titled Sunlight and Vitamin D.

Nordic Naturals is my favorite for taste. No fishiness at all. Comes in several flavors and types.

Barlean's is great too for lemon flavor and lower price.

Garden of Life: Lemon Mint I use this one because it has a high amount of vitamins. It is slightly fishy. I chase it quickly with either milk or liquid multivitamin or juice or even water. My kids take it without complaint.

Green Pastures: Blue Ice all are high vitamin and high quality but are just too fishy for me.

Check with westonaprice.org to find out the most recent recommendations in brands and to learn more about proper dosing of natural-source vitamins A and D.

I take mine before bed. I'm taking the natural form and I take 2 tsp. Garden of Life for a total of 10,000 IU Vit A per day. My young children take a scant tsp.

Update 3/18/09
WestonAPrice.org has new recommendations for higher level of Vit D. They recommend Nordic Naturals "Cod Liver Oil With D" which doesn't have the natural levels of vitamin D reduced like most others. They also recommend still the Green Pastures' Blue Ice which has the right amount of Vit D. I will be just continuing with Garden of Life CLO and now adding on Vitamin D supplements by switching to Ionic Fizz as our magnesium supplement and getting the "+D" type, and by also using Carlson Vit D Drops whenever we are not taking the Ionic Fizz.


from website, Ionic-Fizz™ Super D-K Calcium Plus:
This wonderful product is identical to Ionic-Fizz™ Calcium Plus, except that it provides 1000 IU’s of Vitamin D, and also Vitamin K in the body’s preferred, menaquinone 7 form. This newly found form of Vitamin K is far more expensive than the phylloquinone form, but is also far more effective in the body. Ionic-Fizz™ Super D-K Calcium Plus can be used with any of our Vitamin D series products, or with any multiple that does not supply over 5000 IU’s of Vitamin D per day.

No comments: