Here's one of the recipes I'm probably making for Thanksgiving potluck, in honor of the corn which Native Americans helped the Pilgrims learn to grow. America's Test Kitchen specifies that you do use fresh corn, not frozen. However, it's not in season. Oh, well. Probably frozen organic corn is what I'm going with. I think my tasty farm fresh eggs will carry a lot of flavor.
Creamy Corn Pudding
The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook
this is my quick adaptation
6 ears fresh corn
3 Tbsp unsalted butter, plus more to grease the baking dish
2/3 cup heavy cream
1 and 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp cayenne (depending on your spices, this may be too much. I have some that only takes barely a dash--a very tiny pinch--in order to have some effect. For a family dinner, I'm only going to use a tiny amount.)
1 and 1/2 cups whole milk
4 large eggs
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
2 quarts boiling water (for baking)
My Note: I will probably go for a full-on custard by using another egg or two and eliminate the corn starch. I would guess the cornstarch would be good if you think your corn is watery, but that's why you pre-cook the corn. I may even try this with coconut milk for a dairy free version.
1. Grate one ear of corn on a box grater. Use a paring knife to slice the corn off the other 5 husks. Capture as much milk from the corn into the bowl as possible.
2. On lower-middle shelf of oven put roasting pan. Here, I diverge again from the recipe. I heat my water as I'm heating the oven instead of pouring boiling water into the roasting pan. I think this is a preference in what you consider more safe and convenient. Moving hot water around is tricky either way. Heat oven to 350 F.
Butter an 8x8 inch square baking dish. (I prefer Pyrex.)
3. Melt 3 Tbsp. butter in pan and cook corn until it turns brighter yellow and liquid is almost evaporated, about 5 minutes. Stir in heavy cream, salt, sugar and cayenne. Continue cooking until mixture is thickened and a spoon leaves a trail when dragged across the pan, about 5 minutes.
4. Wisk the eggs in a medium mixing bowl. Add milk and cornstarch. Stir in the corn mixture. Pour into buttered baking dish.
5. Set the baking dish into hot water in the roasting pan. Water should be halfway up the side of the square baking dish. Bake until the custard is browned lightly in spots, 20-25 minutes. The center should be soft but set up like gelatin. Allow custard to cool 10 minutes before serving.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment