Sunday, June 13, 2010

Brainstorm list

I just googled and found this bread recipe, maybe even I will try out:
http://www.anniebbond.com/gluten-free-sprouted-high-fiber-vegan-bread/

I use the bread for pizza because it is one of the quickest things for me to make for myself when everyone is basically eating different foods at almost every meal!  I'm working slowly toward family meals where there is something everyone will eat. That will be a long while, and only makes the most sense once Erik comes home for dinner. I could, however, make up some pizza crusts ahead of time and freeze them. So...

if you have that almond flour pizza crust recipe, send it on over!

So, take out a smaller portion of the PB into a jar and mix in the coconut oil. Since the object is get rid of the PB fat since it's polyunsaturated, then just throw it out... or maybe use in smaller quantities for stir fry.

I've heard you can make your own nut butters even in a blender if you are *adding* oil to it for the ease of blending. So you could experiment with that and just use an oil you like for doing the blending. Warmed oil and not-cold nuts should be better.

Perhaps you can find cashew butter on sale like that.  Are cashews any cheaper than almonds? Watch for a Maranatha sale directly from them (subscribe to their newsletter)

I the BPA from the cans or in the tuna itself? Are sardines too expensive or he doesn't want to eat them that often? What about that tuna in the pouch? What about cold chicken salad--you can add grapes or raisins if not sensitive to molds, carrots, cucumber or whatever you want for crunch (I love celery, onions and raisins).  Egg salad.

So if you can make bread, try the Bob's Red Mill website for recipes, though I think that the GF blogs out there have better recipes for making bread. Try Gluten Free Girl and the Chef.

Or, crackers are easier to make, so ask him if he doesn't mind doing it like a Lunchables:  little container of chicken or egg salad or PB and spread it on as you are eating. For that matter then you can do hummous, tzatziki, baba ganouj, etc. He might like a bruchetta mix that he puts onto the bread/crackers himself--you can load it with olives. I don't want to make a bunch of crackers, but they are simple enough and Meredith loves to cook, so I am going to try to emulate "sesame sticks" into a cracker.

I am going to try to make coconut flour/egg muffins into a quiche-like muffin with bacon and cheese. For me it would have veggies and no cheese. This will be a grab-and-go option. I've done quiches in the past, but never perfected it. I need to keep it simple so that these People will eat it now!

My Coconut Delight:
Mix a small can of crushed pineapple with dried coconut shreds, stevia, coconut milk and if you wish some almond extract. Now, let it sit to have the shreds soak up moisture (I have an old recipe I wrote, but today I just winged it--if it's soupy at first, it will firm up in the fridge). Serve with nuts or other fruit (cherries?)

Dandy Blend instant drink - a friend orders this online and now I am hooked. Easier than brewing tea, so I can more reliably get some coconut milk into me.

Sweeter type cracker (gluten free graham crackers) or bread with cream cheese? Can go sweet like with jam, or go with seeds and onion/garlic and big salt shards like an "everything bagel".  Cream cheese could be a direct substitute for PB. You can pre-mix the cream cheese with all different sorts of things. Could also do ham/turkey rolls with green onion inside. Heck, if I could, I'd even do chopped veggies or red peppers mixed in. You can make a "cheese ball" type dip or "vegetable pate".

Marinated salads (think "deli counter" salads). While Whole Foods' olive bar is $10.99 per pound, Meijer is only $6.99 per pound, so I indugle in my favorite things there that I can't make, like grapeleaves, giant beans marinated in oil, etc.

Delic counter salads could be a salad dressing over summer veggies and beans. Toss in a little raw vinegar.

Spring rolls

Oh, you have spurred me on... I hope I can start making lunches for Erik this Fall!

Few other ideas. I was working today on a list of foods that WE like that I can easily do on routine. So, I brainstormed a list. Here are a few you might like:

"Jello Jigglers" homemade with Great Lakes Gelatin and any type of juice (concentrate works well for the method)

rice tortillas fried in CO and sprinkled with cinnamon sugar/stevia or raw honey.

Kids like cookie dough. Every once in a while I will make cookie dough just so they can eat the dough, only I do it more like a gluten free dough and lots of coconut oil or butter. Doesn't even matter if the cookies bake up well because they just want the dough. With no eggs in it, can store in the fridge for a couple weeks. Good with fresh lemon zest.

Nut butter truffles - use cocoa powder, raw honey and a little coconut oil to make a thick paste like cookie dough. I would like it with raisins and added crunchy nuts. Van likes it smooth.

Deviled eggs for lunch. You can go Indian Curry style, horseradish style.

Antipasto plate, Italian style, or go with an antipasto salad. Could use rice pasta for a cold  summer salad.  I got a great GF, non-GMO dressing at Costco that is all-purpose and works good for these italian things. I use it to roll up some meat around a veggies and then dip it in. Sorta reminiscent of a sub sandwich with Italian dressing on it. Can even add mayo for that flavor. Don't forget pepper rings or sport peppers if you like it hot.

chicken plus asian peanut (cashew) sauce.

Hamburgers or Meatzza
The best hamburger flavoring is simply salt, pepper and dried minced onion. Nothing else.

I am going to do some crab cakes soon. I suppose if you can do eggs this is no problem I didn't make them when I was off eggs, but now that I'm back on, I think I'll try to do them more. Also, we like shrimp cocktail and that's a nice treat--I usually only bother with it at home if I find the shrimp Wild Caught, possibly on sale, so it's only once in a while. I make the cocktail sauce.

GOOD OLD COLD CHICKEN

I am going to try to get the kids to eat cold chicken this summer so that we have it for a lunch option in the Fall at school. I have a couple of great ways of making chicken in oven or stovetop that are pretty easy and only require my two favorite seasoning blends.  I should be putting those recipes up on my blog, so if you want them, let me know. 

You can easily use gluten free flour to do fried chicken, save your oil in the freezer for next time. I have done it in the past with Spectrum Vegetable Shortening.

Cook your bacon in the oven - SO EASY.

Avacado-based salads - Chopped avacado. My favorite is:
-Lemon juice, olive oil, garlic*, nuts like pinenuts or less expensive walnuts, torn basil leaves, chopped tomatoes, salt.
-Could do an egg-salad substitute by mixing mayo, bacon and avacados with onion and tomato (BLT style)
These are so satisfying if you get the flavors right, I don't even miss the bread.

*Found Garlic infused EVOO at Costco and I am loving it. Very easy instead of chopping garlic all the time.


No comments: