Sunday, September 30, 2007

brands of packaged snacks


VitaSpelt Organic Spelt Sourdough Pretzels


I just took the plunge and ordered lots of these from my co-op. I figure compromises don't get too much better than this. If they are truly fermented as real sourdough, and they are spelt, well, we're doing pretty good.


Larabars. I saw photos of these in the Grain & Salt Society catalog and that sold me. I took the plunge and ordered 3 flavors. We'll be eating them whether we like them or not. They're a compromise because they have nuts in them that I will assume are not soaked, but they're made of JUST fruit and nuts.


Q&A from the "waphb" Yahoo group

Just curious what brands of healthy snacks you buy for kids? Not just
the typical cracker brands (include those too) but when you go to the
store what brands do you put in your cart? What do you usually have on
hand?

RE: [waphb] Healthy Snack BRAND list....

We do WAP much of them time but I must admit I am not a 100% hardliner. I know many of you may not agree with this but this is what we have choosen and works for our family.  So take my advise with a grain of salt.
 
We order from Ozark so my normal monthly order includes....
 
Larabars - a raw date fruit nut bars.  So yummy.
 
Stretch Island - Oraganic Fruit Leather.
 
Annie's Homegrown - Whole Wheat Bunny crackers (a cross between wheat thins & goldfish crackers).  These are great for little ones as they are thin and just melt in your mouth.
 
Coconut Banana Date Rolls - these bought in bulk.
 
Bumble Bars - sesame seeds, nuts & rice syrup
 
Juice Boxes - Knudsen & Sons - Apple & Pear Organic boxes.
 
VitaSpelt - Sourdough Spelt pretzels
 
Santa Cruz Organic - organic unsweet apple sauce (comes in those little snack cups)
 
We buy lots of dried fruits too. Only organic & unsulfered.
 
Of course we keep a big stock of raw nuts too.
 
We also sometimes get some good high quality chocolate chips.  Sometimes we just eat them and other times I use them to make a dip for fruit.
 
Hope that helps.
 
Renee S.

-------------------------------------------------
I'll add on my own to this list as I think of them.
-Rachel

Sunsweet Packages of "cherry flavored" prunes, unfortunately not organic and have flavors and a preservative. Great frozen, but little ones need them cut into smaller pieces; easy to cut with kitchen scissors.


Fig Newmans


Organic corn chips. I like to get Mexican corn and prefer to see "lime" listed in the ingredients so that I know it was treated properly for nutrition. Also best when in a bag that has a shiny foil-looking lining. Usually buy Garden of Eatin' brand.


Sweet Potato and Root Vegetable chips, organic preferred


Dried fruit, unsulphured, unsweetened and organic whenever possible.


Carr's Whole Wheat Crackers are like graham crackers. Found in gourmet cracker grouping in most of the grocery stores I shop at.


Virginia peanuts, shell on and salted


Pistachios, roasted salted, shell on


Bottled juices such as carrot, pomagranate-cherry, tomato


Garden of Life "Fruits of Life" food bars. Unfortunately very high in sugar because honey is the first ingredient. I use these sparingly as an on-the-go emergency snack.


dried fruit bits for young children from Just Tomatoes



















No comments: