Part 3: Soothe (Remedies)
Maintaining the immune system is a broad category. But, it is just that. These measures boost the immune system toward many ends, be it guarding against the symptoms of colds and flu, faster healing from all infections, bacterial, viral, fungal or other pathogens; it also covers maintaining the body ecology so that nutrients are better absorbed from food, drink and supplements. I even think of it as cancer prevention and protection of all my body systems. In fact, boosting immunity is about optimal health all year round and for all our years of physical life. So, this post and this blog category is one that all of us can visit over and over again. I'll continue to update it as time allows. As Winter 2009 arrives on our doorstep, my mind is on boosting my family's immunity.
- Advice from Dr. Goyal
- Sleep
- Manage Stress: Relax, Laugh (comedy), Have Fun, Touch, Pray and Meditate, The Work, EFT, Eat and live with gratitude and forgiveness
- Exercise regular and in moderation.
- Influ-enzinum?
- Eliminate your personal allergens as much as possible
- Eat only foods of which you are tolerant
- Diet and supplements:
Garlic. Capsules. Fresh. As a supplement and/or in your food. Use as much as you can stand in your food! "Proven to destroy viruses and bacteria--including those responsible for colds, flues, and strep throat--garlic also effectively reduces fevers by inducing sweating, and it relieves coughs and colds by helping to expel mucus." Natural Family Living, Peggy O'Mara
Vit A is important in helping your body be prepared for infections. This is why Cod Liver Oil is so great. It also gives the EFA's that fish oil gives as well as Vit D needed for strong bones. However you need to choose the right one which has the natural balance of Vit A and D. Most brands have the D amount lowered. Cod Liver Oil
You do not need D2 which, if memory serves, is the artificial form.
The Ecology of your Gastro-Intestinal Tract: Learn all you can about this. The status of your gut flora has a large effect on your ability to digest and absorb nutrients from your food and supplements. A knowledgeable friend does not suggest food supplements as readily as I do and the one "probiotic" he spoke highly of is Pharmax Syntegral. Pharmaxllc.com
-home brewed Kombucha
-homemade Kefir (milk or juice)
-homemade yogurt can be made from a wide variety of different "milks"
-"cream top" yogurt like Stonyfield or Brown Cow (the cream on top indicates it was not homogenized)
-Kefir like Lifeway brand whole milk
-yogurt with" Live and Active Cultures"
EGGS - most complete single food and contain Vit E, iron, many vitamins and minerals, and all the essential amino acids (same as "complete protein"). Even though farm eggs are more expensive, in comparison to other food types of same quality, farm eggs are actually quite inexpensive for what you get. So, I really do think that the $3 per dozen is worth it, and eat lots of them. (I make a protein shake for breakfast with 2 per day and some coconut milk and cocoa powder and drink it. It is superior to any protein shake I've ever had at the store in can or powder and even Erik likes it.) I do not take a Vit E supplement except what I happen to be getting in my multi.
The Top 14 Foods as per Weston A Price Foundation.
Here is a multi-vitamin I take. Use it as a guide for comparing. If you find one you think comes close to this one, please email me! Doc's Best Multi-Vitamin
Multi should contain Zinc AND Copper to balance each other out.
Multi should contain Vit E as d-alpha tocopherol AND mixed tocopherols.
Silica - I believe this is as important in the diet, moreso than calcium, and as much as magnesium for bone strength. I try to avoid extra calcium. I am now dairy free and I still will not supplement calcium except the amount in my multi-vitamin. For silica, I'm trying a couple of different sources, starting with some tinctures as well as tea of horsetail herb.
Magnesium - I still take Peter Gillham's CALM magnesium and give it to my kids.
Vit C (ascorbic acid) is important and you can take large doses and from fresh foods. It is destroyed by heat, light and air, so keep the bottle capped. You should be able to get a cost-effective solution with a combination with other things that are good such as bioflavanoids.
Incorporate more berries and dark fruits and veggies.
LOW SUGAR
Coconut fat in the diet daily such as coconut oil (Nutiva brand is less expensive and good tasting and the brand I always get from vitacost.com), coconut milk full fat, coconut flour, coconut meat.
Switch your fiber drink from Metamucil to Arabinogalactan
http://www.vitacost.com/
Or, just use more fresh-ground flax in your foods. You need a small blade coffee grinder to grind 1-3 tsp. just before you eat it, otherwise it goes rancid and I wouldn't eat it. But the fiber should eliminate your need for the Metamucil which contains artificial flavors and colors. Coconut flour also contains a high amount of fiber (too much for me to digest) and makes excellent baked goods which a large amount of egg in the recipe.
Change your salt to Redmond RealSalt, an inexpensive but has the trace minerals and I love it. Have been buying it by the case for about $50 for past few years. Use it in all our food. I'd say that the case lasts me about 2 years. Much cheaper than buying a "trace mineral" supplement.
No comments:
Post a Comment