Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Top Fourteen Foods

The Top Fourteen

WESTON PRICE Our list of the 14 best top foods, foods that supply vital nutrients including the fat-soluble vitamins, looks like this:

  1. Butter from grass-fed cows (preferably raw)
  2. Oysters
  3. Liver from grass-fed animals
  4. Eggs from grass-fed hens
  5. Cod liver oil (take before bedtime)
  6. Fish eggs
  7. Whole raw milk from grass-fed cows
  8. Bone broth (prepare yourself according to Nourishing Traditions recipe)
  9. Shrimp
  10. Wild salmon
  11. Whole yoghurt or kefir
  12. Beef from grass-fed steers
  13. Sauerkraut (Naturally fermented, raw. Try Bubbies brand. They have pickles too)
  14. Organic Beets

According to government and media health pundits, the top best 14 foods are:

  1. Beans
  2. Blueberries
  3. Broccoli
  4. Oats
  5. Oranges
  6. Pumpkin
  7. Salmon
  8. Soy
  9. Spinach
  10. Tea (green or black)
  11. Tomatoes
  12. Turkey
  13. Walnuts
  14. Yoghurt

This uninspiring list reflects the current establishment angels (anti-oxidants and omega-3 fatty acids) and demons (saturated fats and animal foods).

Rachel's comments about the standard top 14.

  1. Beans - I don't eat many of these anymore because even with the lacto-soaking I'm getting gas, so I assume they're just not digesting well for me. I figure my time is better spent on raw milk, and the other top 14 foods. Also, if you go for beans, try lentils which are the most nutritious legume. I also get less gas from lentils.
  2. Blueberries - We do eat these, as well as any other berries, cherries and lots of other fruit. I figure that fruit is a natural appestat to sugar. I get Organic frozen fruit in little 10 oz. bags at Meijer for about $3: peaches, strawberries, blueberries and raspberries. Try to get ORGANIC.
  3. Broccoli
  4. Oats – I'm eating very few grains these days. Soaked Millet is better. I also use Food for Life Ezekiel bread as our main grain. It's convenient. Brown Basmatic rice from India is also nutritious and is low in the phytates and is more digestible. I cook it slowly, and I don't even soak it. I make it a couple times per month.
  5. Oranges – great for Vitamin C in the winter when they are fresh (antioxidants)
  6. Pumpkin
  7. Salmon
  8. Soy - avoid like the plague
  9. Spinach
  10. Tea (green or black)
  11. Tomatoes
  12. Turkey
  13. Walnuts - I love nuts. Convenient: Soak overnight in a warm place with salt water. Drain and either dry them in a 150 degree oven OR just eat them "wet". Eaten wet, I notice no bitterness like with raw nuts.
  14. Yoghurt - It's a staple for us. I just got a Donvier Yogurt Strainer and love it. I use the "Yo Cheese" like cream cheese or sour cream. Had maple cream cheese on toast this week. Mix the whey with juice for a drink.

No comments: