Friday morning my hubby is home after travel, so I focus on sort of getting ready for the weekend as I also prep breakfast for him. He goes up to the office and I take him a nice "welcome home" breakfast. Nothing too elaborate. Saturday or Sunday morning I cook a more elaborate breakfast (eggs, meat, toast, coffee).
Here's what this morning looked like, in no certain order:
The first thing the kids ate this morning was strawberries dipped in Brown Cow Maple Cream Top yogurt. Then Van ate about 1.5 cups of the yogurt.
I'm working on lowering the kids sugar (and save money while still staying convenient), and I just bought 4 quarts of yogurt: 2 Brown Cow Maple and 2 Stonyfield plain cream top. This morning I pre-mixed the plain with jam and portioned into little tubs. I also mixed all extra plain with the two Maple tubs in order to cut down the sugar, then poured that back into the large tubs.
I brewed Organic decaf coffee and the kids and I drank it with So Delicious Original Coconut Beverage. They didn't finish theirs. I'll just leave it out on the counter til lunch (which is whenever I decide to eat) and pour that over ice.
I soaked some blackberries and ate some. Hubby's breakfast was blackberries and strawberries, supplements, decaf coffee and half of a large bagel with cream cheese. The kids had mini bagels with cream cheese. Since I didn't want to wrap up the last bit of cream cheese, Van ate it.
Yesterday I soaked Quinoa. I baked it this morning and am cooling it now so that I can make some of it into a salad. I will probably freeze leftovers in bags. I like quinoa more with strong flavors of onions. My salad today is a recipe from Dale's Natural Foods in Flint, MI. It has peppers, green onions, celery and peas in it with a dressing of oil, red wine vinegar, dijon mustard, and soy sauce. Today instead of soy sauce I'll be using Bragg's Liquid Aminos as it is unfermented but smells like soy sauce. I'll adjust the recipe as much as possible, for example, using mustard powder instead of dijon mustard.
While I baked the quinoa, I also stuck in a sweet potato for me.
I brewed black tea and it is cooling in a jar in the garage (we've got cold weather and about a foot of snow on the ground, so I use the garage as an extra refrigerator). The family is starting to like cold tea, so I'm going to offer this in our fridge on a more regular basis.
My breakfast was nuts and seeds that I soaked two days ago and were in the fridge. Topped with coconut milk and stevia.
Yesterday I soaked black beans in water. I didn't put in the lemon juice out of laziness. They are still soaking. I'll bake them today and prepare the Jamaican Beans and Rice similar to the recipe in NT. I am happy to see that it includes a package of (coconut milk or) creamed coconut, which I happen to have in the pantry (not sure if I plan to order it again--I can see that this would be a great product for travel).
Yesterday I went grocery shopping with the kids (not my favorite thing to do). Late last night, when the kids were asleep I had time to bake my hubby a pie. I had the Trader Joe's pie crust in the freezer (no preservatives or artificials, and it has butter and cream in it!). I saw the rhubarb at Meijer and knew that was what I would do--already had strawberries from Costco trip earlier this week. I can't eat the pie, but it's one of my hubby's favorite things. He's been working hard at deadlines for over a month. Since I've been spending his hard-earned money on food, and I want to avoid spending more at restaurants or have him be frustrated and buy pizzas, I am trying to feed him well. I'm getting used to making food which I cannot eat for other people to enjoy. I stick to my diet plan!
Yesterday, after the grocery shopping trip, I made fish stew. I will eat that again today.
This weekend I will make a quick coconut sorbet while baking a sweet plantain recipe out of Eat Fat Lose Fat (EFLF). I didn't really plan it this way, but it should be a nice finish to the Jamaican beans and rice. I will also find some other meat to go with it--probably just using up some sausage from the freezer.
One of hubby's meals will be the hot wings taking up room in my freezer.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment